Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Covert Veggie Ops

I mentioned in my post about breakfast picnics that Aiden is not a huge fan of food, or anything that requires him to sit for long periods of time for that matter. And in my never ending search to up the nutritional content of his and his Dad's meals, I came across a fabulous resource for all you Mom's and Dad's who are on the same quest: The Sneaky Chef.

The Sneaky Chef, a.k.a Missy Chase Lapine, is a chef and a Mom, who has come up with some ingenious and delicious ways to sneak fruits, veggies, whole grains and fibre into some kid and family favorites.

I started incorporating her system into our meals last weekend and I am now hooked. So far this week we've had Chicken Parm pops, Sneaky Kraft Dinner, Tropical Twist Ice Cream, and Bonus Burgers, and each one has been a huge hit. I'm looking forward to trying the other recipes in her books and seeing just how many veggies I can sneak in before I am busted!

It really does feel fantastic knowing that I am providing my loved ones with good, nutritious and delicious food. And because of this I am addicted. I have even made my own sneaky creations, like Elmo Fruit-Wiches:
1. Toast a piece of bread
2. Using a cookie cutter, cut a circle out of the toast
3. Spread Nutella or Peanut Butter or Jam on the bread
4. Use two blueberries for eyes, half a grape for a nose and a nectarine slice for a mouth.

So for all of you who are in a similar boat, with a little or a big person who doesn't like or doesn't want to eat their veggies, check out The Sneaky Chef series: http://www.thesneakychef.com

Happy sneaking,
Creatively yours,
Maya :)

No comments:

Post a Comment