Saturday, November 26, 2011

So What Do You Do?

This evening Aiden's Dad and I are going to his work Christmas party. This is a pretty big deal as this will be the first time we leave Aiden in the evening with someone else (thankfully the someone else is Grandma and Grandpa who he adores so he should have a ton of fun). It's also the first event I am going to since becoming a full-time stay-at-home-mom.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love being a SAHM and having the opportunity to hang out with Aiden and watch him grow up, but one thing that I've been thinking about, as trivial as it sounds, is what to say when people ask "So what do you do?". The first thought that comes to my head is "Everything and anything" followed promptly by the long list of what "Everything and anything" entails. I know that's not really what people are asking; What they are really asking is "If I were filling in a form about you and I came to the box that said "Occupation" what would I write in that box for you?". And yes, the easy answer would be "I'm a stay-at-home-mom" (which is nothing to be ashamed of at all by the way), but it doesn't feel as creative as it could be and somehow doesn't give enough justice to what we SAHM's actually do. So here is my list of alternate job titles.

Alternate Job Titles for Stay-At-Home-Mom's (or Dad's)
1. Domestic Goddess (as suggested by my fab British pal Charlie!)
2. CEO/CFO/CMO of Anderson (or "INSERT FAMILY NAME HERE") Family inc.
3. Camp Anderson/Run-A-Muck Director
4. Anderson Family Wellness/Activities Director
5. Court Jester for the court King Aiden the Great
6. Referee/Coach/Team Manager for the AFL (Anderson Family League)
7. Dean of the Anderson School of Life
8. Ring Master (Mistress?) of Circus Anderson
9. Captain of the Anderson Family Cruise Ship
10. Girl Friday for Aiden Anderson (let's face it, he's the real boss!)

Ok, so I'll probably go with "I'm a stay-at-home-mom to the most wonderful and magnificent little boy and I love every minute of it." But a fun exercise nonetheless.

Happy naming,
Creatively yours,
Maya
All dressed up and somewhere to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment