Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Love You Always Forever, Near and Far, Closer Together

Since becoming a Mom there are many things that have surprised me. Some of these things include my mastery of one-handed tasks like cooking a family style ham and cheese omelet complete with a side of homemade sweet potato fries using only one hand while holding Aiden with the other hand, my capability to function in the day after an exhausting night spent "sleeping" on the rocking chair with my sick little man, and my ability to make a multitude of boy-style sound effects including cars, trains, planes, rocket ships, animals, robots, dinosaurs and even wookies.

But a surprise that snuck up on my yesterday is my sudden ineptitude at saying goodbye to loved ones without turning into an absolute puddle if tear-filled mush.

I discovered this as I was driving home from my Dad's house from our last visit with him until at least March of next year when he'll be done his locuum. Aiden was sound asleep in the car and the song "Last Christmas, I gave you my heart..." came on the radio. I glanced in the rear view mirror at my sweet little man and tears immediately welled in my eyes as I realized how much Aiden will miss his Grandpa and how much I'll miss my Dad. And as the tears started rolling down my cheeks I thought "Huh, this is strange." Now if read my post about what makes me unique you will understand that I have had a lot of practice saying goodbye to my Dad, so it doesn't usually phase me when he leaves, but for whatever reason (alright, let's get real here - the reason is Aiden...poor little guy won't be able to understand that Grandpa is coming back!), this time it hit me hard.

So to turn this feeling into a more positive one, here's a list of things that Aiden and I will do keep our loved ones close even when they are far away:

Keeping Our Loved Ones Close Activities
1. Make a care package for the loved one. Find a box, decorate the box and fill it with all of their favorite things. Take it to the post office and let your little person choose the stamps and mail it.
2. Write a story about your little one's adventures with the loved one. Illustrate the story with photos of your little person and your loved one. Make a copy to send to your loved one.
3. Make a day-in-the-life video of your little person. Have your loved one do the same. Exchange videos via email and play them frequently.
4. Exchange teddy bears or stuffed animals with your loved one. Anytime your little person misses your loved one, give them the teddy bear or animal to hug.
5. Have your teddy bear write letters to the other bear and get your loved one to respond on behalf of the bear.
6. Look on the map where your loved one is. Put a marker in the map where you are and where they are. Attach the two points with string and go on an imaginary journey to the other place.
7. Go to the library and find books about where your loved one is. Find a recipe from that country and make it for dinner. You and your loved one will then be eating the same thing.
8. Skype, FaceTime and video chat as much as possible.

Creatively yours,
Maya :)

No comments:

Post a Comment